I say try to piss them off even more. So here you go! A copy of my letter. What better than to actually post a complaint on the world wide web! Please pass it on to as many people as you like or even better send your own letter to designfeedback@lululemon.com.
Dear Lululemon
Many months ago, I composed an email and sent it to you inquiring as to why
you do not carry your women’s line in sizes larger than size 12, and
suggesting that perhaps there was a greater market for larger sizes than you
think. I received a reply which bothered me tremendously, however at the
time I couldn’t quite put my finger on what was so offensive to me. Was it
the fact that you just refused to see the need to carry larger sizes and were
rather insulting regarding the fact, or was it the suggestion that I purchase
the men’s clothing that is offered in larger sizes. This past weekend I
purchased a yoga mat from your store, and a friend tried several styles of
pants. It was while she was trying on the pants that the reason your
response bothered me so much revealed itself.
As much as Lululemon touts equality, fitness, health (both mentally and
physically), it is sexist. Yes, Lululemon you have fallen into the sexist
trap of men being able to range in sizes from xs - xxl. However, women must
fall into the very small category of size 2-12. Well-touted facts such as
over 50% of women are now a size 12 or larger are all over the newspapers,
magazines and television. However, companies such as Lululemon insist on
ignoring the statistics and excluding that portion of the population from
being able to purchase clothing from their company. Do you realize that this
means that Lululemon is potentially losing over a 100% increase in sales in
this department due to the very large population of women they are alienating
with sizing?
Now please do not insult me further by replying again that I can purchase the
men’s line carried in larger sizes. We can all agree that regardless of
size a man’s body is still quite different from a woman’s body. We should
also be able to agree that regardless of size, a woman’s body still remains
in its basic shape e.g. hourglass, chest and hip measurements similar, with a
smaller waistline. Mostly, we should be able to agree that this way of
thinking is extremely sexist. Why should my size be available in the men’s
line and not the women’s? The insinuation is that it is okay for men to be
in the larger size category (although most men in this size range would also
be considered, overweight, or obese by today’s standards and use of the BMI)
and that women in the larger size range are not acceptable.
This leads me to my final point. As a larger, active woman, I am hard
pressed to find quality work out clothes. I cannot be the only woman of a
larger size (based on the statistics) that is healthy, working out regularly,
and in need of yoga gear.
I leave you with a quote from your website “Our vision is to elevate the
world from mediocrity to greatness”. IF this truly is your vision, you have
an opportunity here to do something great and good why not take the chance
and expand your target market!
No comments:
Post a Comment