Sunday, April 02, 2006

Jesus loves you.....if your BMI is less than.....

Ok, so we all know that there is tremendous societal pressures to be a certain size, and weight. What concerns me is the amount of bible based groups that have suddenly jumped on the bandwagon so to speak. When I slugged through the bible trying to read it cover to cover I don't remember a verse that said "if you are 5'4", you shall weigh between 115 - 130 lbs". I also don't remember seeing a verse that said "if you see a fat person you shall make fun of and place so much pressure on them so that they too shall be skinny". I know that what you are all going to fire back at me is the "treat your body like a temple" verse, but when did treating your body like a temple mean that the temples all had to be the same size?

The problem is that I'm sure that churches that offer these programs see them as helpful, but I counter that and say, perhaps they are more harmful then helpful. Church is supposed to be your place to go to be closer to God and to surround yourself with those who will not judge, who just want to worship together. It should be, in my humble opinion a place of safety. But inevitably what has happened by offering a weightloss group is that you have alienated a group of people. I think a better program in a church would be the "Jesus loves the least of them". This program would help people to like themselves and to do away with the societal pressures to look and be a certain way.

I leave you with a quote from my precious, smart, beautiful grandma as she lay in bed, unable to move from debilitating arthritis, starving to death at 80lbs : "all my life I tried to lose 100 lbs, now I wish I could have it all back." She wasn't loved because of how she looked, she was loved because she was the most beautiful person inside.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

most people think that the bigger the church, the more successful....well...if our body is a temple....and it is bigger.....you see where I'm going?
:o)

Doerkenstein...aka Sheritopia said...

excellent! I like the way you think!