Monday, September 22, 2008

Many years ago, like 1984ish, I admitted to like a childish movie out loud in a class. I also admitted to liking some more junior books in the library (Judy Blume if you must know – but really in hindsight, who doesn’t like her, and reference her pre-teen/teen books frequently?). I was ridiculed for a week (it seemed longer back then) in regard to my obvious lack of maturity.

When I think back to this time I realize two things:

  1. I was immature for my age. I developed quickly physically, but not emotionally, or socially. I was an innocent – naïve and innocent.
  2. I still like SOME more junior books. Sometimes good reads are sold in the ‘Teen Fiction’ section of the bookstore. The difference is now if someone ridiculed me for it, I’d laugh at how pretentious they were.

On that note, I’m recommending that you read the Twilight series. Yes, it’s in the ‘Teen Fiction’ section of the bookstore. Yes, it’s about vampires. And yes, it’s really easy and enjoyable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wait until you read Breaking Dawn. It is SUCH a satisfying read.

christine.ens said...

There's something to be said for an easy, entertaining read. I'm also enjoying the vampire series, even though I find it juvenile at times - teen love is so intense!

There's also something to be said for reading books that nieces and nephews (or your own children, for that matter) enjoy. Harry Potter, for example. I loved that I could have intelligent discussions about the books with my 6 & 9 year old nephew & niece.

Yay for growing up and still reading young.