Monday, January 29, 2007

Last week I read this story on the cbc webpage about how the mennos were going to get kicked out of Canada. I thought, hmm, that's funny and chuckled to myself. Then I started thinking about all the people I know that this could actually affect. Tonnes of my second cousins came back to Canada in the 80's after having lived their whole lives in Mexico or Paraguay. I started to feel some concern. Are we a dangerous lot to be granting citizenship to? Should all mennos be moved onto a colony or perhaps reserves so that the government could keep a better eye on us?

This week my load has been lightened....a little. Apparently the government will look at everyone on a case by case basis, and this should help to keep everyone here safe and sound. But then doubts come back to me. Don't they say that about everyone's case before they deport them? Isn't that why we have families hiding in churches?

This brings me to my favorite observation....of late I've noticed that Menno churches are getting bigger and bigger. Coincidence? that just as the menno's might get kicked out of Canada, most churches are large enough to house their entire congregation? I think not!

No comments: