Friday, January 12, 2007

things I want to talk about

My friend proved to me she truly is a brave little munchkin by shaving her head to raise money for cancer research. Turns out she's got quite a cute little head. It made me very proud of her and it meant a lot to me for a lot of reasons. It really affected me. I had to leave early, to get back to work, and to cry. I don't know anyone not affected by cancer. It seems it cuts a wide path. Yesterday their little grassroots idea turned into something big and effective. I think it meant a lot because it didn't feel helpless. For the 1 hour that I watched peoples hair fall to the ground it felt like they were doing something... like we could do something...it felt hopeful. It was an honour to bear witness to the denuding of so many noggins!


On another note, on my way to yoga everyday I drive past the same squeegee man all the time. One day a few weeks ago I decided that my windshield desperately needed a clean, so I would ask him to do my windshield after my chiropractor appointment (located on the same corner as the squeegee guy). I came out of the office, walked to my car, and noticed the squeegee guy helping a stalled car. The car was blocking me in, so I walked over helped the squeegee guy push them out of traffic and into the parking lot. He was so busy helping them, he didn't make it back to squeegeeing for a long time...I left with my dirty windshield. Then yesterday as I drove by again I noticed he didn't have a squeegee, this time he only carried a sign..."Need penis enlargement. I'm a little short".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I told my Dad what I was doing..shaving my head to raise money for Cancer Research and awareness. He told me Candy would have been proud....
I've died my hair many colours for fun and for fashion, but this chrome dome was dedicated to and in memory of all that we have lost (Candy, Grampa, Lorraine, Shane's mom, the list goes on), those that are fighting (don't we all have a list of those right now?) and those, that one day, with enough money raised, will never, ever, have to hear those gawd-awful words... you have cancer. Lis